Dr. Saikat Chakraborty is Professor of Biological Systems Engineering, and Faculty Advisor for Global Engagements (USA), at Plaksha University. His research aims to create biofactories that produce bioenergy and high-value biomolecules from algal and lignocellulosic biomass for a sustainable tomorrow on this climate-altered planet, and to construct digital twins of human physiological systems for computational bioengineering of multiscale diseases.
His PhD in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at University of Houston involved developing a new spatial averaging technique by employing the Liapunov-Schmidt method of the classical bifurcation theory, while his post-doctoral research at University of Texas Medical School was focused on computational multiscale modelling of the human lungs and pulmonary disorders. His research at IIT Kharagpur – where, until recently, he was an Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, and the principal investigator of the DBT-Pan IIT Center for Bioenergy, and the PK Sinha Center for Bioenergy and Renewables – not only explored computational multiscale modelling of biological systems, but also led to experimental innovations of rapid cost-effective lignocellulosic and algal biofuel processes, on which he has authored five patents and fifty high-impact publications with an h-index of 20, and has supervised six doctoral dissertations.
Prof. Chakraborty has received the Sigma Xi Research Achievement Award from the University of Houston, the Young Engineers Award from The Institute of Engineers (India), and was nominated for the Man Asian Literary Prize. He is an honorary member of the European Federation of Chemical Engineering (Sustainability Section). His literary fiction and essays have appeared in Asia Literary Review, Tablet, Northeast Review, and Outlook India.
- S. Roy, S. Chakraborty, Regulatory effects of water in two-phase protic ionic liquid-mediated catalytic conversion of non-edible lignocelluloses to biofuel precursors, Biomass and Bioenergy, 106674 (2023). IF=5.774
- A. K. Mehta, S. Chakraborty, Multiscale modelling of mixotrophic algal growth in pilot-scale photobioreactors and its application to microalgal cultivation using wastewater, Environmental Research, 214, 113952 (2022). IF=8.431
- A. K. Mehta, S. Chakraborty, Multiscale integration of mixotrophic microalgal cultivation, lipid synthesis, rapid biomass harvesting, and nutrient recycling in pilot-scale photobioreactors, Algal Research, 53, 102146 (2021). IF=5.276
- A. K. Mehta, S. Chakraborty, A rapid, low-cost flocculation technology for enhanced microalgae harvesting, Bioresource Technology Reports, 100856 (2021). IF=4.492
- S. Chakraborty, S. K. Paul, Interaction of reactions and transport in lignocellulosic biofuel production, Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering, 29, 104-121 (2020). IF=6.117
- A. Nair, S. Chakraborty, Synergistic effects between autotrophy and heterotrophy in optimization of mixotrophic cultivation of Chlorella sorokiniana in bubble-column photobioreactors, Algal Research, 46, 101799 (2020). IF=5.276.
- S.K. Dutta, S. Chakraborty, Multiscale dynamics of hemicellulose hydrolysis for biofuel production, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 58 (21), 8963-8978 (2019). IF=4.326.
- S.K. Paul, S. Chakraborty, Mixing effects on the kinetics of enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic Sunn hemp fibres for bioethanol production, Chemical Engineering Journal, 377, 120103 (2019). IF=16.744.
- S. Roy, S. Chakraborty, Comparative study of the effectiveness of protic and aprotic ionic liquids in microwave-irradiated catalytic conversion of lignocellulosic June grass to biofuel precursors, Bioresource Technology Reports, 8, p 100338 (2019). IF=4.492
- S.K. Dutta, S. Chakraborty, Mixing effects on the kinetics and the dynamics of two-phase enzymatic hydrolysis of hemicellulose for biofuel production, Bioresource Technology, 259, pp 276-285 (2018). IF=11.889.
- S.K. Paul, S. Chakraborty, Microwave-assisted ionic liquid-mediated rapid catalytic conversion of non-edible lignocellulosic Sunn hemp fibres to biofuels, Bioresource Technology, 253, pp 85-93 (2018). IF=11.889.
- S. Chakraborty, P.K. Singh, P. Paramashetti, Microreactor-based mixing strategy suppresses product inhibition to enhance sugar yields in enzymatic hydrolysis for cellulosic biofuel production, Bioresource Technology, 237, pp 99-107 (2017). IF=11.889.
- S. Shariff, S. Chakraborty, Two-scale model for quantifying the effects of laminar and turbulent mixing on algal growth in loop photobioreactors, Applied Energy, 185, pp 973-984 (2017). IF=11.446.
- S.K. Dutta, S. Chakraborty, Pore-scale dynamics of enzyme adsorption, swelling and reactive dissolution determine sugar yield in hemicellulose hydrolysis for biofuel production, Scientific Reports, 6: 38173 (2016). IF=5.516.
- D. Mathur, S. Chakraborty, Kinetics of Microwave-based Ionic Liquid-mediated Catalytic Conversion of Ricinus Communis to Biofuel Products, Chemical Engineering Transactions, AIDIC, 52, pp 967-972 (2016).
- A. Bose, S. Chakraborty, Mathematical Modelling of the Effects of Circadian Rhythm on Microalgal Growth in Phototrophic and Mixotrophic Cultures, Chemical Engineering Transactions, AIDIC, 52, pp 955-960 (2016).
- S.K. Dutta, S. Chakraborty, Kinetic analysis of two-phase enzymatic hydrolysis of hemicellulose of xylan type, Bioresource Technology, 198, pp 642-650 (2015). IF=11.889.
- S. Chakraborty, S. Raju and RK Pal, A multiscale three-zone reactive mixing model for engineering a scale separation in enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose, Bioresource Technology, 240, pp 140-147 (2014). IF=11.889.
- A. Gaikwad, S. Chakraborty, Mixing and temperature effects on the kinetics of alkali metal catalyzed, ionic liquid based batch conversion of cellulose to fuel products, Chemical Engineering Journal, 240, pp 109-115 (2014). IF=16.744.
- RK. Pal and S. Chakraborty, A novel mixing strategy for maximizing yields of glucose and reducing sugar in enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose, Bioresource Technology, 148, pp 611-614 (2013). IF=11.889.
- T. Sanyal and S. Chakraborty, Multiscale analysis of simultaneous uptake of two reactive gases in the human lungs and its application to methemoglobin anemia, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 59, pp 226-242 (2013). IF=4.13.
- A. Agrawal and S. Chakraborty, A kinetic study of pyrolysis and combustion of microalgae Chlorella vulgaris using Thermogravimetric Analysis, Bioresource Technology, 128, pp 72-80 (2013). IF=11.889.
- T. Sanyal and S. Chakraborty, Multiscale analysis of hypoxemia in Methemoglobin Anemia, Mathematical Biosciences, 241 (2), 167-180 (2013). IF=3.935.
- A. Gaikwad and S. Chakraborty, Mixing effects on the kinetics of enzymatic hydrolysis of Avicel for batch production of cellulosic ethanol, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 52 (11), 3988-99 (2013). IF=4.326.
- S. Chakraborty and A. Gaikwad, Production of Cellulosic Fuels, Proceedings of National Academy of Science, India Sect. A Phys. Sci., 82(1), pp 59-69 (2012). IF=1.276.
- A. Chaudhury and S. Chakraborty, Dynamics of mixing-limited pattern formation in non-isothermal homogeneous autocatalytic reactors: a low-dimensional computational analysis, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 50 (8), pp 4335-43 (2011). IF=4.326.
- T. Sanyal and S. Chakraborty, Micro- and meso-scale analyses for quantifying hypoxemia in Methemoglobinemia, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, 2192 (1), pp 2640-45 (2011)
- A. Chaudhury and S. Chakraborty, Dynamic simulation of mixing-limited symmetric and asymmetric patterns in homogeneous autocatalytic reactors, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (21), 10517-23 (2010). IF=4.326.
- S. Chakraborty, Aniket, A. Gaikwad, Mixing effects in cellulase-mediated hydrolysis of cellulose for bioethanol production, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (21), 10818-25 (2010). IF=4.326.
- S. Doorwar, S. Neogi and S. Chakraborty, A multiscale model for quantifying helium diffusion in porous unsintered glass, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 88 (2), 1-8 (2010). IF=2.602.
- Aniket and S. Chakraborty, Mathematical modeling of cellulase-mediated hydrolysis of cellulose for bioethanol production, International J. of Anaerobic Digestion and Renewable Energy, 1(1), 219-226 (2010)
- A. Gupta and S. Chakraborty, Linear stability analysis of high and low-dimensional models for describing mixing-limited pattern formation in homogeneous autocatalytic reactions, Chemical Engineering Journal, 145 (3), 399-411 (2009). IF=16.744.
- RR. Pandiyan, S. Chakraborty, G. Kundu, S. Neogi, Curing kinetics of medium reactive unsaturated polyester resin used for liquid composite molding process, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 114 (4), 2415 - 2420 (2009). IF=3.057
- D. Mukherjee and S. Chakraborty, An analytical method for quantifying transport and reaction of anti-tumor drugs in human tissues, Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, 42 (1), s226-s233 (2009). IF=0.732
- P. Saurabh and S. Chakraborty, Mathematical modeling of reactive transport of anti-tumor drugs through electro-active membranes, Asia-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering, 4(3), pp 345-355 (2009). IF=1.447
- S. Roy, K. Kargupta, S. Chakraborty, S. Ganguly, Preparation of polyaniline nanofibers and nanoparticles via simultaneous doping and electro-deposition, Materials Letters, 62 (16), 2535-2538 (2008). IF=3.574.
- A. Suresh, S. Chakraborty, S. Ganguly, K. Kargupta, Low-dimensional models for describing mixing effects in reactive extrusion of polypropylene, Chemical Engineering Science, 63 (14), 3788-3801 (2008). IF=4.889.
- A. Gupta and S. Chakraborty, Dynamic simulation of mixing-limited pattern formation in homogeneous autocatalytic reactions, Chemical Product and Process Modeling, 3 (2), Article 9 (2008). IF=0.368.
- S. Chakraborty, V. Balakotaiah and A. Bidani, Multiscale model for pulmonary oxygen uptake and its application to quantify hypoxemia in Hepatopulmonary Syndrome, Journal of Theoretical Biology, 244, pp 190-207 (2007). IF=2.405.
- V. K. Salloum, S. Chakraborty, A. Bidani, Effect of temperature on superoxide production by THP1 monocytes, Chest, 128 (4), pp 166S (2005). IF=10.262.
- S. Chakraborty, and V. Balakotaiah, Multi-mode low-dimensional models for non-isothermal homogeneous and catalytic reactors, Chemical Engineering Science, 59, pp 3695-3724 (2004). IF=4.889.
- S. Chakraborty, V. Balakotaiah and A. Bidani, Diffusing capacity reexamined: relative roles of diffusion and chemical reaction in red cell uptake of O2, CO, CO2, and NO, Journal of Applied Physiology, 97, pp 2284-2302 (2004). IF=3.532.
- S. Chakraborty, and V. Balakotaiah, A novel approach for describing mixing effects in homogeneous reactors, Chemical Engineering Science, 58, pp 1053-1061 (2003). IF=4.889.
- V. Balakotaiah and S. Chakraborty, Averaging theory and low-dimensional models for chemical reactors and reacting flows, Chemical Engineering Science, 58, pp 4769-4786 (2003). IF=4.889.
- S. Chakraborty, and V. Balakotaiah, Two-mode models for describing mixing effects for homogeneous reactors, AIChE Journal, 48 (11), pp 2571-2586 (2002). IF=4.167.
- S. Chakraborty, and V. Balakotaiah, Low-dimensional models for describing mixing effects in laminar flow tubular reactors, Chemical Engineering Science, 57, pp 2545-2564 (2002). IF=4.889.
- V. Balakotaiah and S. Chakraborty, A novel approach for describing micromixing effects in homogeneous reactors, Chemical Engineering Education, 36(4), pp 250-257 (2002).
- S. Chakraborty, P. R. Nott and J. Ravi Prakash, Analysis of radial segregation of granular mixtures in a rotating drum, European Physical Journal E, 1(4) pp 265-273 (2000). IF=1.825.
- S. Chakraborty, K. Kargupta and A. Bhowal, Modeling of air-lift reactors based on bubble dynamics, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 5, pp187-191 (1998). IF=0.614.
1. S. Roy, S. Chakraborty, A Kinetic Framework for Microwave-Irradiated Catalytic Conversion of Lignocelluloses to Biofuel Precursors by Employing Protic and Aprotic Ionic Liquids, Biorefineries: A Step Towards Renewable and Clean Energy, Clean Energy Production Technologies, Springer Nature, pp 173-215 (2021).
2. V. Ramya, S. K. Dutta, S. Chakraborty, Modelling of reaction and transport in microbial fuel cells, Microbial Fuel Cell, Springer, pp 269-283 (2018).
3. T. Sanyal, S. Chakraborty, Multiscale Modelling and Simulation of simultaneous Oxygen and Nitric Oxide uptake in the Human Lungs and its application to Methemoglobin Anemia, Computer-aided Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, 30, pp 1372-76 (2012).
4. S. Chakraborty, Transport and Reaction in Physiological Systems: A Multiscale Averaging Approach by Saikat Chakraborty Special issue on Biotechnology & Bioengineering, Nehru Museum Science & Technology, IIT Kharagpur, pp 67-75 (2006)
5. S. Chakraborty and V. Balakotaiah, Spatially Averaged Multi-Scale Models for Chemical Reactors, Advances in Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, 30, pp 205-297 (2005).
1. S. Chakraborty and A. Gaikwad, A process for ionic liquid based catalytic conversion of cellulose to fuel products, Indian Patent, Granted, Certificate No. 314202, dated 25/04/2013.
2. S. Chakraborty and R.K. Pal, A process for enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulosic biomass for bioethanol production, Indian Patent, Filing number: Ref: 509/KOL/2013 dated 03/05/2013.
3. S. Chakraborty and P.K. Singh, A micro-reactor based energy-efficient process for cellulosic ethanol production, Filing number: Ref: 961/KOL/2015)
4. S. Chakraborty and S.K. Paul, Process of production of biofuel precursors from Sunn hemp, Indian Patent, Indian Patent, Granted, Certificate No. 426008, dated October 26, 2016.
5. S. Chakraborty, and A. K. Mehta, An integrated process for high-density mixotrophic cultivation and rapid harvesting of microalgae in photobioreactors, Indian Patent, Application number: 202031033010 dated July 31, 2020.